Monday, January 12, 2009

Cowboy Stew

Or "Cowgirl Stew" as my girls like to call it. I love this recipe because it is quick and easy, everyone loves it, and it simply cooks away all by itself during that busy time between 4:30 and 5:30 when every child needs my attention and the baby needs to nurse. I can get it in the slow cooker during nap time, at my leisure, without stress. My kind of meal!

1 lb. ground beef
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 can cream style corn
1 can pork and beans
1 can chili beans
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
chili powder
cumin
salt and pepper
Brown the beef with the onion and green pepper.
Season with salt and pepper, chili powder and cumin to taste.
(I just add a little and taste, add more and taste until I like it.)
Drain well.
Put all ingredients into a slow cooker.
(Sometimes I'll add more chili and cumin after tasting everything stirred together.)
Cover and cook on low 7 to 10 hours, or on high 3-5 hours.
My family likes to add sour cream, shredded cheese, and even tortilla chips to their bowls.
Oh, Cowboy(girl) Stew is great with corn bread, too!
Check out more great soup (or stew!) recipes at Jessica's Soup Swap!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

This looks absolutely yummy! Thanks for joining in on the swap. I'll have to get the ingredients for this before the very, very cold weather arrives.

* elizabeth * said...

This sounds great.
What is it about the hourse five to seven. We call it crazy time here at the messy house. Dinner needs to be started, (my hub gets home at seven) babies snacked and distracted until daddy time, odds and ends picked up from the day... And that's when the babies are craziest. This sounds like a wonderful way to make crazy time a little easier

* elizabeth * said...

That stand is secretly a punch bowl!

April said...

This looks SO good! I wish I had everything here for dinner tonight!

the voice of melody said...

This sounds very good, thanks for the recipe. :)

Country Chick said...

Hi Jen! Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours too! I am going to try that Cowgirl stew you got there this week. The weather is frigid... well at least it is for me... and a hearty bowl of that sounds great!
Have a great week!
Janine

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin