Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mmmmm...Banana Bread


I love making banana bread. It is so easy ( I don't even bother with my mixer), and all you need is a few pantry staples and some extra ripe bananas. Whenever we end up with over-ripe bananas, I just throw them in the freezer; they last forever and work perfectly (just thaw in microwave or on the counter before peeling).

This is my Grama Nancy's recipe that I adjusted to use some whole wheat flour. I like it better with the whole wheat; it seems a little chewier-which I like! And of course, it makes it healthier.


Grama Nancy's Banana Bread


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray.


Combine in a small bowl:

1 cup sugar

1 cup white flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or 2 cups white flour)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt


In a separate bowl mash 3 bananas. I used a potato masher, but a fork would work too.


Add:

1/4 cup softened butter

4 Tablespoons milk (or just 3 if you're using only white flour)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I leave these out for my baby)


Stir well. Add the flour mixture a little at a time and mix until combined. Dollop into loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes for all white flour) or until a toothpick comes out clean.


I love the first slice, warm from the oven, smothered with butter. YUM.



3 comments:

Diary From Africa said...

Sounds delicious ! I like the idea of using wholewheat flour - I also like that extra "chewiness" in something like this.

Sally said...

mmmmmmm... now I'm hungry!

Hannah said...

Haha... what is it about banana bread? (http://living-juicy.blogspot.com/2008/03/banana-bread.html) It's just so easy and delicious!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin