Saturday, March 29, 2008

More Snow= Potato Corn Chowder

Yesterday afternoon the feather-like flakes started swirling through the air.


They soon started piling up, so a warm, comforting dinner was in order.


I have been making a potato corn chowder recipe for a long time that my family loves. But I was getting a little bored with it. So, last night I changed it up a bit. I made it thicker and creamier; and I added fingerling potatoes, cheddar cheese, and broccoli.


Jen's Potato Corn Chowder


1 sweet yellow onion, finely chopped


1 Tablespoon butter


1 Tablespoon olive oil


1 large russet potato, peeled and diced


8 or so fingerling potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick


5 cups chicken stock


1 cup frozen corn


1 1/2 cups half-n-half


3 Tablespoons flour


3/4 cup broccoli florets, bite size


3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese


salt and pepper to taste


Melt butter with olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, cook, covered; stirring occasionally until translucent, about 10 minutes. Don't let it brown.


Add chicken stock, russet potato, corn, and a little salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 7 minutes.


Meanwhile, add flour to a small bowl, add a little half-n-half, whisk with a fork until smooth, adding half-n-half a little at a time until it is all incorporated.


When potatoes are soft, mash in the pot with a potato masher. Stir in half-n-half mixture and fingerling potatoes. Simmer about 5 minutes, add broccoli, continue to simmer for a few more minutes until broccoli is al dente (unless you like it softer). Take soup off heat, stir in cheese.


To serve, I add a little frozen corn to the bottom of each bowl, then ladle in soup. This cools off the soup for my kids (and husband) without watering it down.

I wish I had taken a picture! Next time...

I like to make popovers or corn muffins to go with this. This time we had warm corn muffins with butter and honey. Yum.


This morning we woke to this:



So, I guess we need more comfort soup tonight. Anyone have a good recipe?


1 comment:

Diary From Africa said...

Mmmm ... your Potato Corn Chowder recipe sounds lovely. I've never made a chowder before, but this recipe has tempted me to try one !

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin